Gold has shone bright for over six thousand years. For almost 50 years, we’ve held the torch. Enlightening the world with this golden light. And people started to listen, they started to learn, they started to collect.
- As time went on, we found ourselves evolving.
- The difference between then and now?
- We’re redefining opportunity. We’re ensuring that gold is for everyone.
- We’re infusing trends before they’ve been noticed.
- We’re listening to our buyers and anticipating their needs.
- We’re crafting a future that redefines gold ownership.
- We’re connecting the antiques with the moderns, the young with the old.
- We’re blazing a trail forward, seeking ways to reshape the industry.
- We’re embracing new technologies and cryptocurrencies.
- Bringing our clients stock from the world’s most prestigious mints.
- While widening our range with Silver, Platinum and Palladium.
- We’re offering more, but we still love Mandela, Paul and Elizabeth.
- We’ve never felt more alive, knowing that gold will never get old.
- We are the next gold rush.
- Half a century has seen us evolve.
- But the change begins today.
- With us. With you.
- With The South African Gold Coin Exchange and The Scoin Shop.
WHAT IS NUMISMATICS? AND WHAT IS A NUMISMATIST?
Numismatics is the study of currency and its history in all its varied forms. Numismatists are the people that collect currency for its beauty and history.
WHAT ARE MINT MARKS?
A mintmark is a small mark imprinted into a coin used to identify which mint produced the coin. Globally different symbols, as well as letters are used as this identifying mark on coins.
WHAT DOES GRADING MEAN?
We use Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) is the world’s largest and most trusted third-party grading service for coins, tokens and medals. Coin grading is the process of determining the condition of a coin by coin and assigning a grade. The grade of a coin plays a huge factor in determining the value of a coin. The higher the grade of the coin, the higher its value.
WHAT ARE MY COINS WORTH?
A coin’s worth is determined by whatever someone is willing to pay for it. The price is set by supply and demand. While it is important to know what your coin is worth, you should buy coins because you like them and intend to keep them.
They may eventually go up in value, and they probably will, but not immediately.
WHAT ARE PROOF COINS?
Proof coins (proofs) are coins that are specially struck for collectors. The finished proof coin is a very shiny, mirror like coin, most having frosted portions. These coins have extra sharp details and are not intended for circulation although they are legal tender.
Proofs are available as single coins, or in Proof Mint Sets. Mishandling a proof coin can lower its value and grade.
WHAT ARE COIN SLABS?
Coin slabs are hard plastic, tamper-proof cases, that are sonically sealed and hold a coin which has been graded and certified by a third-party grading service.
WHAT IS A BULLION COIN?
Coins made from precious metals that are generally used for investment purposes.
Bullion coins are usually made from gold ,silver, and may be available in platinum and palladium.
Many countries have their own official bullion coins (legal tender) , such as :
Krugerrand, American Eagle, Canadian Maple Leaf.
They are typically minted in weights that are fractions of one troy ounce to fit a variety of budgets.
Their value is based on the metal content.
The value of a bullion coin depends primarily on the value of the metal used to make it. If the price of gold increases, the price of bullion coins and gold content in collectable coin/medallions also does. However, collectable coins have the added rarity factor. The lower the mintage, the higher the price.
WHY BUY GOLD?
- Perfect way to diversify your portfolio and reduce your risk.
- Protects you from currency devaluations.
- Perfect wealth protector against economic uncertainty.
- Protects your purchasing power against inflation.
- Satisfaction of actually owning a real piece of gold.